Photobucket

Thursday, August 25, 2011

As Far as Days Go.......

....... yesterday was a good one. It started off like any other. I asked Meredith whether she'd rather goto the aquarium or to Manhattan to visit Rob & to the petting zoo. She chose to ride the "D" train. So off we went. We met Rob for lunch first. When I got there I realized my g-parents were in the city this week. I called them to see whether they'd like to get together for an early dinner.

We went up to Rob's office for a quick hello & then we set off for a place that just opened up by his office. We sat down to eat our spoils at a place carved out between buildings that Meredith just adores. It's a little oasis between two buildings on 53rd Street between Park & Madison. On one wall there is a waterfall. Anytime we go into Manhattan, she asks to go there. This time we sat on the other side of that specific area. There is still a waterfall, but not as many people. Plus, there is an original piece of the Berlin wall. Not that that means anything to Meredith, but I think it's cool.

We ate. Meredith nibbled. Then she was off to see just how far she could lean over the edge of the waterfall wall before we'd yell for her to be careful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After dropping Rob off back at his office, we set off for the Central Park Zoo. Meredith wanted to goto the petting zoo. Today she was going to pet the cow. Maybe she'd even feed it. I wasn't keeping my hopes up. What usually happens is that she moos. The cow moos back at her and she's pretty much spooked after that. That cow moos pretty loud.

When we got in there she shocked me by venturing off on her own. Of course she asked first, but she went right into the play log and even looked at the bunnies. She narrated to Sean everything they were looking at. "Look Seany. The white bunny is in that log. Seany..... over there is the brown bunny." "Do you see it Seany?" "Seany it's like the bunny in the book." She was so cute making sure he didn't miss a thing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

"Seany when you get bigger like I'm bigger, you can climb the fence like a ladder. Like this."

Photobucket

We got to pretend to be turtles and fish. By the way.... those fake fish heads are creepy. We also pretended to be Diego in the cave with the waterfall saving baby jaguar.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As we made our way around and looked at the different animals, she kept asking when we'd get to the cow. No patience that kid. I swear! I kept reminding her that we'd get there.

When we finally arrived she jumped up & down like her shorts were on fire waiting for me to hand her the food. And boy did she surprise me. She went up to that cow like it was a draw at the OK Corral. Like she had something to prove.

Not only did she moo and didn't get spooked when the cow mooed back. She did pet her & did feed her. So did I. Blech! Cows are drooly messes with rough tongues. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure I felt teeth. Double blech!

Photobucket

We fed the goats & the sheep. We weren't allowed to pet & feed the pigs. Apparently they have quite the attitude and don't have the table manners needed to eat with children. Imagine how funky your manners have to be to not be allowed to eat with kids.



  
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



I was a little afraid to give Sean the dog food pellets though. So no feeding the animals for him. I'm sure he would've thought it was cereal of some sort and ate it. Blech! Blech! Blech! That didn't stop him from getting in on the act though. One goat thought Sean's sippy was ripe for the taking and Sean saw his opportunity. He just went for it and the poor goat didn't see it coming. Sean went right for his nose.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course as Sean's fingers wrapped themselves around the goat's nose an employee of the zoo happened to be walking near us and gave me a warning that the kids were not to injure the animals or we'd be asked to leave. In 34 years alive I have never been threatened to be escorted out of the children's zoo.

But seriously..... 1st of all he's 1. Second of all.... the goat asked for it.

As we quietly ducked out of there trying not to injure anymore animals, Meredith spotted it. It was shiny and there was a girl drinking from it. "What is that girl doing mommy?" "She's drinking from the water fountain baby." "Can I do it mommy?" "Sure you can."

So up we went. Right to the shiny bronze water fountain. "Ok push the button to make the water come out. When the water is out you lean over & drink it." Try as she might, she just wasn't strong enough or coordinated enough to push & drink. So I helped.

Photobucket

We walked through a tunnel that automatically elicited a scream so she could here how she echoed. Echo Echo Echo.  She immediately found out just how small she is compared the world. The resounding voice that came back & vibrated through her was HUGE. So she did it again completely mesmerized that that big sound was hers.

Passerby looked at me like I was completely nuts to allow my child to be that far away from me. She wasn't that far trust me.

Photobucket

While we waited for Rob to get off from work, we sat down in a patch of grass to play for a little while. Meredith & Sean played in the grass and Sean tasted it.

This is what grass tastes like in Central Park.

Photobucket

Meredith wanted to take pictures so I handed the camera over. I don't think she did such a bad job.

Photobucket

Photobucket

When we saw Rob, Meredith wanted to use her BIG voice to call him. Just in case he didn't see us.

Photobucket

Guess what? He found us. Thank goodness for Meredith & her BIG voice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And we started our way uptown to meet my gparents. My gpa looks great and happy. Thank goodness. Especially considering the last time I saw him he was very ill & in the hospital. My gma looked good too, but she always does.

We sat down at a place around the corner from their house and got to eat outside. Seriously.... what says NYC more than eating outside on the sidewalk? Ok maybe having drinks on the sidewalk, but I'll have to save that for another day.

Photobucket

Meredith fell asleep on the walk uptown & slept the whole time we were there. I can't imagine sleeping on 3rd avenue with all the hustle & bustle. Craziness. And yet.... there she was.

Photobucket

Dinner was good and Sean got to play with his great epa & ema.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

All in all..... a great day full of great memories.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Cute! If you guys find yourself in Central Park and want some company sometime, let us know. Sadie+I would love to join you, we live nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun post and wow, sounds exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, that goat totally asked for it! Love the pictures :) I am slowly catching up on my blog reading and as I write, I hope that you are all safe from hurricane Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet! Sounds like a really nice day for everyone.

    ReplyDelete